Friday 28 September 2012

Solarisation Experiments



To digitally solarize my images i used adobe Photoshop. Although Man Rays solarized images were done in the darkroom our outcomes both share similar qualities. Man rays work reminds me of x-rays and his subject matter contributes to that, the effect produces a glow that you don't get when your image is in standard black and white. 
To created the desired effect using Photoshop i selected an image i took this week down in Brighton relating to my them landscapes. I converted it to black and white by going to layer > new adjustment layer >black and white > OK. I then created a curve layer by going to layer > new adjustment layer > curves > OK. I then invert the image by using the pencil tool in the curves layer box, holding down the shift key while the output is on zero I create an inverted v and let go which completes the first step.
I then need to create a new curve layer by going to layer > new adjustment layer > curves > OK. Manipulate the curve using the squiggly line tool which allows you to edit points to modify the curve effects to your liking. A small movement of the line makes a noticeable difference so you don't need to get carried away. I then have the option to use the dodge tool to lighten and the burn tool to darken parts of my image. I use the dodge tool to give the clouds in my first photograph more tone. I first have to create a new layer and then apply the image which duplicates everything I've done up to this point into a new layer. I can then adjust the size and hardness of my tools and I play around and decide on 50% hardness and 100% diameter for the dodge tool as it isn't to hard for my image it lightens it but leaves it looking realistic. 
I'm am really pleased with the turnout of both my images, they both look pleasing to the eye and I enjoyed making it as the process wasn't to lengthy. I would improve further by using a photo with more form next time.



I solarised these photos in the darkroom, I prefer the turnout of the digital solarisation experiment but this turned out well as well. The first print is definitely better because of the contrast of the grey and black. At first they were not printing well, i had the aperture on f8 and the exposure was 9 seconds, once i had put them into the developer and the image started appearing it looked fine but once i had taken it out and exposed it to the light for 1 second on f2.8 the images didn't appear to have much depth so to troubleshoot this problem i had to readjust the settings to f4 which worked. 


No comments:

Post a Comment