Friday 23 November 2012

In Depth Analysis of Timothy Pakron


Timothy Pakron creates these breathtaking selectively developed prints by splashing developer on the prints and then letting the developer run down the paper in some prints. He also paints developer on points of interest such as the eyes and lips, this is a technique i think I would enjoy and would work well with my theme. The first image is called despair 2 and I think it's a very expressive print as the drips running down the page as the man is looking down gives the effect of tears. He uses realistic subject matter and distorts them to create a powerful statement with his portraits. I think the meaning of the work is to evoke emotions through the visible parts of the image. The second image is called chaos study, this is a perfect name as the developer has been applied creating a chaotic effect which reflects the look on her face as she may have been left looking so serious after being through a chaotic series of events. The look in her eye holds so much back and it makes me wonder what her secret is because she does not look happy.

The use of lines and splatters forms the image and they are high in contrast as u need to be able to read the sections of the image you can see well in order to visualise and understand what it is. I think every picture is perfect in its own way and i am left longing to see what the original looked like. I don't think the image could have been planned specifically, it was all down to experimentation as you can never know how the developer will land on the paper.

The artist has used lighting on set to add shadow to the work, then in the darkroom he used contrast filters to increase the contrast in the images.

This work makes me feel so stunned and I think it is such a creative approach and although you can see less of the image it gives it so much more emotion and makes it miles more astonishing to look at. I can relate to the moods portrayed in the portraits and I sense that Timothy Pakron was feeling depressed and lonely when creating this series of prints as that is the mood that the prints bleed. Timothy says "I am comfortable with my viewer ultimately feeling uncomfortable."  which I think are feelings that are evoked by these photos by many but all these feelings the work makes me feel makes me want to try this approach to developing with my own work. I am gong to apply this technique to my work as i think it would work well with landscapes.

1 comment:

  1. Please re-check this analysis. You cannot use 'u' it isn't correct English! You must replace all of the instances of 'u' with 'you'. Otherwise a very good analysis.

    ReplyDelete